Friday, October 10, 2008

50 words for today

From the BBC News website...
50 of your favourite words

Story about man who read the OED in a year
Lots of sesquipedalians out there, judging by the response to our feature on the man who reads dictionaries for fun, Ammon Shea. We asked for your favourite words and were overwhelmed with nominations. Here we list 50 of the best.

Read the rest of the article here

I have to admit at being pleased by how many of these words I actually knew. And enjoyed all the many spiffy words that were new to me. My favorite word on this list is "tintinnabulation".

One of my (many) favorite words that didn't make their list is:
uxorious
–adjective
doting upon, foolishly fond of, or affectionately submissive toward one's wife.

First one that came to mind, just randomly. Has nothing to do at all with tomorrow being my wedding anniversary, I'm sure.

I guess that makes 51 words for today.





No comments: