Monday, June 16, 2008

Fatigue

fatigue
1669, from Fr. fatigue "weariness," from fatiguer "to tire," from L. fatigare, originally "to cause to break down," later, "to tire out," from reconstructed adj. *fati-agos "driving to the point of breakdown," from Old Latin *fatis (of unknown origin, related to adv. affatim "sufficiently" and to fatisci "crack, split") + root of agere "to drive" (see act). Fatigues appeared 1836, from sense of a soldier's non-military duties (1776).

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2001 Douglas Harper


Too tired to knit, much less go out for a ride, or to take photos and post them on the web. Too tired to cook dinner, or follow the plot while watching a movie. I can read for a bit, but the meaning gets tangled and I have to re-read every third paragraph to sort out who said what. Too tired to want to leave the house. Food is unexciting. Climbing the stairs is exhausting.

Had a good day the other day... got some dishes done, got some errands run. Today I feel like I slept under the mattress. The price of a good day is being so tired I ache. So tired my vision is blurred. Dark circles under my puffy eyes. I'm tired and cranky and frustrated.

Up and moving around, I start overheating. It's like being under one of those lamps where they stick fries until the rest of the food is done. Sleep comes too easily. But it doesn't refresh. Too tired to think straight. Too tired to focus.

What was I about to say?

I'm too tired to remember what it was.



No comments: