Wednesday, July 16, 2008

teh mad suxxor

I was scheduled to fly to Boston in two days to attend the Jumpcon convention. I have been looking forward to it for months, especially because I'd paid extra to have a ticket to be seated at Peter Woodward's dinner table (as one of 12 guests). And on my birthday no-less.

I just got an email from Jumpcon announcing they were issuing refunds due to the cancellation of the event. They posted to their website yesterday to notify attendees that it had been canceled (3 days before the event was supposed to take place) and sent out the email notices today.

I'm angry and seriously disappointed. And now I've learned that this isn't the first event they've had to cancel.

I've been told that if I can produce receipts for my airline tickets they will refund what I spent on them. Same goes for my room at the hotel (which I booked directly through Jumpcon so no receipts should be needed.) So now I have some phone calls to make, and some paperwork to come up with in order to get my refunds.

Their messages on the website today read as follows:

Message from Shane Concerning JumpCon Boston
Submitted by admin on Tue, 07/15/2008 - 13:36

* Boston

Announcement to fans coming to JumpCon Boston:

I regret to announce the cancellation of our Boston event. Many factors that needed to come together
to make it happen simply did not. We tried everything humanly possible and
were unable to overcome the insurmountable obstacles. This is not to say
that I don't take the blame myself, I do. I wanted to see this succeed so
badly that I was blinded to some warning signs that should have been
obvious. If I have learned anything through this process it's that running a...
(Read the rest at their site)


A Message from Fernando Martinez
Submitted by admin on Tue, 07/15/2008 - 13:47

* Boston

To all fandom:

Please be advised that despite all my efforts to try to salvage Jumpcon, as of today - I see absolutely no chance of this event happening.

When I was hired by Jumpcon, I was assured that the Boston event would happen and that the funding was all arranged. I spent countless days and hours negotiating new appearance contracts with the stars and their agents to try to save the event, only to find that Jumpcon was unable to fulfill it's financial obligations to the stars after all.

I regret that the stars were financially harmed by not being paid their appearance fees or cancellation fees.
I regret that the stars representatives, who were so nice and gracious, were not paid for their time and ended up looking bad to their clients. And I especially regret that the fans were harmed financially and (although not intentionally) were betrayed when they placed their trust in Jumpcon. I have been promised by Shane at Jumpcon that he would return every penny to the fans, I hope that is one promise he can keep. (Read the rest on their site.)

No comments: