Monday, February 4, 2008

People are scary

So I was watching the news tonight on BBC America to see what our primary elections look like to other folks, and I just about choked on my beverage.

They showed a radio talk show host taking calls from his listeners, and a lady was calling in to complain about McCain's policies. Specifically, she complained about his being against torture. She then, in a civilized tone of voice said, "I'm pro-torture."

First of all, well DUH, McCain is against torture. I mean, come on lady, the man was a prisoner of war and on the receiving end of torture. And how can a person in a country that takes pride in words like "freedom" and "justice" wrap her mouth around words like, "I'm pro-torture." I assume to people like that "justice" is only valuable when it's applied to people of their choosing.

Ick.

Ick ick ick ick...

Liberty_Tapped.jpgDid we ever have just a little bit of moral high ground to stand on? Can we have it back, please?

Does that anonymous woman realize that by advocating torture, she's giving up any right to be outraged if torture is used on our own people? I have family in the military. Are they worth protecting, even if she thinks torture might be useful? Which, I do not believe it is. But even if it were useful, is it worth that risk? That sacrifice? What about civilians traveling abroad? Where does the line get drawn?

I mentioned it to my friend, Tym, and he said, "People are scary."

That sums it up for me right now.

This is one of the big reasons I'm going to vote in the caucus tomorrow. This is a real part of why I'm voting for Barack Obama and Al Franken.

* * *
Our biggest problem with the Bush administration is that for us it's déjà vu all over again. We spent six years watching the man as governor of Texas, the basis for our 1999 book, Shrub. We were tempted to begin this book by observing, "If y'all had've read the first book we wouldn't've had to write this one." Cooler heads prevailed.
From Bushwhacked: Life in George W. Bush's America
By Molly Ivins and Lou Dubose

No comments: