Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Back from NC

Bride and Groom
Wedded
Originally uploaded by Pockafwye
I'm back from North Carolina, and back at work.

My cousin and his lovely bride survived the three-ring-circus that wedding planning so often becomes, and the ceremony itself was beautiful.

I got a chance to meet up with some old friends of the family I hadn't seen since childhood, and got to finally meet a close friend of my cousin's about whom I'd heard many good things. I'm slowly sorting through all the photos I took, and will be posting them to flickr in small batches.

The cake, by the way, was truly the yummiest cake I've ever had at a wedding, and was made by the groom himself.

I caught a sinus cold while I was there, but fortunately it didn't hit until after the wedding.

Ever since my surgery last year, I'm prone to nightmares when I'm under stress. There was an event during my trip--unrelated to the wedding itself, thank goodness--that really shook me up, and that's all I'm going to say about it here, except that now I'm having nightmares again.

Last night's dream was an epic-length affair about being hunted through Southern California chaparral and steep, dry hills, occasionally broken up by various suburban settings. In the dream I was captured by, escaped from, and then spent the rest of the dream fleeing from a group of terrorists, who had apparently hired David Carradine (à la his Kill Bill period) as their hit man. I woke up several times, but dropped right back into the dream where it left off each time. There was someone with me who had also escaped, and we were helping each other avoid recapture.

I usually associate David Carradine with the Kung Fu TV series, having grown up watching and re-watching it in re-runs, and Kwai Chang Caine is as un-menacing a character as I can imagine. So when I woke I was a bit surprised by my sleeping brain's choice of casting Carradine as my pursuer. I was able to see Carradine's face, incidentally. Third time in as many weeks that I've seen someone's face in my dreams, so I think faces are going to become a semi-regular feature.

At any rate, I'm going to do my best to get my sleep patterns back under control before the nightmares snowball again.

Lunch break is over. Time to get back to work.

No comments: