Sunday, May 11, 2008

Spring Weekend

We had lunch at Khan's Mongolian Barbecue in Richfield today, and then I spent some time out on the deck reading in the hammock. There are leaves on some of the trees, the birds are singing, and at 57° F it was wonderful in the sunshine.

Now we're watching some DVDs of the old TV show, Robotech: The Macross Saga. I'd forgotten how much I can't stand Minmay. I find myself rooting for the Zentradi, hoping Commander Breetai will put her out of my misery. Forgive me, fellow micronians.

I've also managed to complete my first successful swatch of single crochet. I experimented until I found a way to hold the yarn and crochet hook that gave me enough control of both to make it work. I wasn't having any luck with the hand positions I saw in the book I'm using or on the web. I don't know if it's because my left hand is just that dumb, or if I'm so used to knitting English style (throwing) that crochet feels backwards, but I just wasn't getting the hang of the proper hand positions. What I came up with is probably slower than normal, just as English knitting is slower than the continental style, but it seems to be working. Maybe once I get the basics of the stitches themselves down I'll focus on trying to hold the needles hook more correctly.

No comments: